City of Lebanon MS4 Program
MS4 Program Mission Statement
The mission of the City of Lebanon MS4 Program is to promote public health and safety and to improve both local and state water quality by implementing stormwater pollution prevention standards. Our goal is to address the drainage concerns of the citizens and reduce flooding hazards, while improving water quality through planning, public education and management of our stormwater system.
Why is there a MS4 program?
The Clean Water Act and Rule 13 of the Indiana Administrative Code require communities of a certain size to have a Storm Water Quality Management Plan. This is a federally mandated program to improve water quality. The state requires the community to comply with this rule. There is not any federal funding for these programs. The city funds the program through monthly user fees. These fees are shown on your utility bill each month and labeled as a Stormwater Fee.
The current base rate is $5.50 per Equivalent Dwelling Unit (EDU). These fees are also to provide adequate resources to effectively manage, repair, maintain, and improve the City’s stormwater management system.
There are six minimum control measures that are mandated:
Public Education and Outreach
– Teaching the importance of keeping stormwater clean, and the negative impact daily activities can have on streams and rivers
Public Participation and Involvement
– Including the public in the development and implementation of the city’s community MS4 Program
Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
– Identifing and eliminating illegal discharges into the storm sewer system from homes and businesses
Construction Site Run-off Control
– Ensuring that developers, builders, and others implement suitable plans to prevent sediment and pollutants from leaving construction sites
Post-Construction Stormwater Management
– Designing long-term best management practices and control measures that reduce or eliminate polluted stormwater run-off from newly developed or redeveloped areas and make sure that they are maintained to function over time
Pollution Prevention and Good Housekeeping at Municipal Operations
– Reducing stormwater pollution from local government facilities and activities such as road salting and pesticide use
401 South Meridian Street
Lebanon, IN 46052
Phone: (765) 482-8845
Fax: (765) 482-8873
Report-a-Polluter / Stormwater Violations
If you have witnessed an act, you feel is a violation of clean water regulations, anywhere within the city limits, please report the information to the City’s MS4 Program 765-482-8845 Ext #7 or by email to [email protected] .
Several road improvement projects near the future Eli Lilly and Company campus are planned by the IEDC/Pure Development to provide safer and more efficient access to area homeowners and personnel working on the project. The contractors performing this work will ensure access to homeowners.
©2023 City of Lebanon
website design DevLab Creative